What is an Environment?
We believe that the Holy Spirit is God’s chosen teacher and it is He who causes spiritual growth and formation when and as He chooses, our Kids Connect curriculum is designed to have ten environments that we desire our parents and leaders will help create in the home and at church. Think of an environment as a “climate”…what kind of climate did your home have growing up? What kind of climate do we want kids to experience God in? In this model, kids won’t necessarily “know” the environment or learn about it, they simply get to “live in it” as we understand their value and create it for them.
Following is a statement that captures the essence of each of these ten environments:
- Storytelling- “God has a Big Story and I can be a part of it!”
- Identity- “I belong to God and He loves me!”
- Faith Community- “God’s family cares for each other and worships God together.”
- Serving- “Asks the question, ‘What needs to be done?’”
- Out of the Comfort Zone- “God transforms me when I step out in faith”
- Responsibility- “God has entrusted me with the things and people around me that He has created”
- Course Correction- “When I get off track, God offers me a path of healing”
- Love and Respect- “God fills me with His love so I can give it away”
- Knowing- “God knows me and I can know Him”
- Modeling- “I see Christ in others and they can see Him in me”
You can find the monthly environment on the HomeFront handout given to your child each week or at http://cccomaha.org/kids-connect.php. Click HomeFront under the News Feed to view the parent weekly or monthly HomeFront.
HomeFront monthly is a great resource to help with planning family activities based on the 10 environments. Each month highlights one environment. The ideas are designed for families with kids of all ages and are a snap to organize.
Not sure how to pull off a family night? Experience a HomeFront night on Friday February 8, 2013 from 6:30-8:00PM.
Resource available: Spiritual Parenting by Dr. Michelle Anthony; you can purchase at the Resource booth in the Atrium or from a Kid’s Connect staff member for $15.