A Man of God Pursues…
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:11-12).
To pursue something means to go after it and in our lives we are all pursuing something, but are they the right things to be pursuing? Mostly we pursue things of this world: prestige, money, a college degree, recognition, success, a spouse, and inclusion to name a few. But, a man of God is to pursue the virtues and behaviors that are opposite to what the world says we need to pursue.
As men of God we are called to pursue:
- “Righteousness” – means to do what is right, in relationship to God and others.
- “Godliness” – is having reverence for God. It is having a God-like character and conduct.
- “Faith” – is trust in God.
- “Love” – is willing the good of others or having a selfless devotion to their needs.
- “Endurance” – means to have continued faith even when facing adverse circumstances.
- “Gentleness” – is tender kindness toward others.
So, Man of God, what are you pursuing? Is it the success in this world or is it the virtues that identify you as a man of God?
The Apostle Paul lists six areas of our life that we as men of God are called to pursue. Which one are you most deficient in? This week be intentional about pursuing and improving that area of your life.