Hey Ladies...Test Time
On pg 23 in Michelle's book (last post) she suggests a simple self test and makes some comments on the options. Here it is:
How About You?
How have you been affected by the lie that your body must fit a certain standard in order to be accepted? Check all the following statements that apply to you:
- I am critical of my body
- When I look int he mirror, I first notice the parts of my body that I think are inadequate.
- When I see images of "beautiful women" in the media, I compare myself to them.
- As I get dressed and ready in the morning, I consider what other will think of my appearance.
- I weigh myself frequently and am emotionally affected by the results.
- The thought of being seen without makeup or hair done is scary to me.
- When others compliment my appearance, I have a hard time believing it's true.
- When I eat in front of other people, I wonder what they are thinking about me.
- I tend to wear clothes that are baggy to hide my figure or tight clothes to show off my body in hopes of receiving attention.
- If money were not object, I would have plastic surgery in a heartbeat.
- I have often thought that becoming more beautiful would be the solution to some of life's challenges - my desires for romantic relationships, career success, popularity among friends or self-esteem.
- In the past month I have spent a significant amount of money on beauty supplies.
- I'm really bugged if the car is pulled too far forward in the garage.