Gratitude is a key to a rich life. Paul said "Give Thanks in everything." (I Thes 5:17) Why? Because thankfulness molds the soul. It brings perspective, it infects people around you. It keeps you from becoming self-absorbed. It makes you increasingly generous and less selfish . Gratitude is critical to acheiving life in all it's fullness.
I am going to list out things I am grateful for...not just the typical things you say at the Thanksgiving table (health, family, turkey) but the other stuff...the stuff that brings joy but often times goes forgotten:
I am thankful for:
- Asiago cheese bagels at Panera
- A working heater in my car
- Leather chairs
- The smell of chocolate-chip cookies
- Mike Kimmons' exuberant worship style
- Things that defy logic
- Hugs from Josiah before I go to work
- The sound of a Harley
- Google, Bible Gateway, and Mapquest
- Air Travel that connects me to cool places in the world
- Health Insurance
- Haiven's little laugh, especially when it is loud and in public
- Tooth-whitening strips
- Jean Bishop, Lottie Krogh, and others who have been faithful to CCC for over 7 decades
- Hope for eternity
- Nose hair clippers
- The Fighting Illini's recordbreaking turnaround, 9-3 record and defeat of the #1 team in the nation!
- Grace when I mess up, and more grace
- A wife who stuck with me for over 17 years
- My dentist...really...when I think of life without dental work...I am grateful
- A library full of books that connect me to the best thinkers in the world
- Friends that hang Christmas lights with me on the Saturday after Thanksgiving
- Yappy little Schnauzer dogs
- The sounds of kids learning to play piano
- Garage Door openers on rainy days
- The opportunity to make a little difference in the lives of people around me...
Happy Thanksgiving all! Make it real...by being truly thankful...